- Scaling Digg Joe Stump (via Kris Jordan)
- Seven Stages of Scaling Web Applications - John Engales CTO, Rackspace (via High Scalability)
- Windows Live Mesh architecture (Abolade Gbadegesin, Microsoft) and a overview of the presentation (James Hamilton)
- List of interesting scalability links including Facebook, Flickr and Google (James Hamliton) eBays' Scalability Best Practices (Randy Shoup, via Infoq.com)
- Amazon Architecture (highscalability.com) and Technology Platform (ACM)
- Scaling Bumper Sticker to a billion pages per month (highscalability.com)
- Managing Latency in an Internet application (highscalability.com)
- Economics of Scalabiilty and Twitter as a case study (Nati Shalom)
- Wikipedia Infrastructure (Data Center Knowledge)
- MySpace Architecture Q & A (Interview with Dan Farino by Ryan Slobojan)
- Everything will Ultimately Fail. Michael Nygard ("If
you do not design your failure modes, then you will get whatever
unpredictable---and usually dangerous---ones happen to emerge. ")
Degraded Operations Mode (James Hamilton @ Perspectives)
- Overview and explanation of Availability, MTTR and MTBF by Alan Robertson.
- Root Cause Analysis Part 1 and Part 2 (Tom Olzak Tech Republic)
The Limoncelli Test: 32 Questions for Your Sysadmin Team (Thomas Limoncelli, Everything Sysadmin)
Data Center Links
- Analysis of Economics of Blade Servers (James Hamilton)
- Google's data center efficiency. (Data Center Knowledge) and an analysis by James Hamilton
- Useful data center related blog. (John Rath, Data Center Links)
- Server cabinet organization tips (Pete Sacco, Data Center Design).
- The basics of 'racking and stacking' servers. (Matt, Standalone Sysadmin)
- Server room cabling nightmare and cleanup (Tech Republic).
- James Hamilton on Data Center Power costs.
- Michael Manos on Microsoft's Gen 4 Data Centers.
Monitoring and Logging Links
- Answers to common logging questions;
- Worst logging practices (Anton Chuvakin, Log Logic).
- MRTG and load balancers. (Vegan.net).
- SNMP agent for Windows servers (Informant Systems).
- An all-in-one Systat utility (Thomas Maier-Komor).
- Logsurfer resources (Kerry Thompson).
- Forensic web server logging. (Mark Burnett, Security Focus)
- Solaris Core File analysis, part 1 - mdb and part 2 - Solaris cat. Ben Rockwood.
- Using SMF (Chris Josephes, O'Reilly).
- ZFS Cheatsheet (Colin Seymour) and Best Practices (solarisinternals.com).
- Solaris UFS file system performance guide (solarisinternals.com).
- Password character restrictions (No Tricks, Dr. Luke O'Conner)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology security checklist repository. (NIST)
- Overview of Microsoft Secure Design Principles (J D Meier @ msdn.com)
- Five Immutable Laws of Virtualization Security. (Pete Lindstrom, Spire Security)
- A view on Virtualization Myths (Amrit Williams)
- Thoughts on auditing virtualized. (Hoff, Rational Security)
- Bits on PCI compliance (Hoff, Rational Security)
- The operational issues surrounding virtualized servers (Hoff, Rational Security)
- The performance issues for a virtualized network (Hoff, Rational Security)
- Patch frequency for VMWare ESX. (Ronald Oglesby and Dan Pianfetti @ GlassHouse Technologies)
- A few bits on securing ESX. (Amol Sarwate, SC Magazine)
- A few basic rules on security containers. (Rich Mogull, Securosis)
- A summary of the four big issues surrounding virtualization. (Hoff, Rational Security)
- And putting a datacenter in a switch (Richard Betjlich, Tao Security)
- PC Memory Architecture & DMA protection on virtual machines. (Nate Lawson, rdist.com)
- SQL Server checklist (John Hicks, Microsoft).