So what happens when a crime is alleged to have been committed using your open network?
For individuals who happen to get caught up in a crime involving something like what happened in Mumbai, and who don't have the backing of corporate legal departments, I suspect that the process wouldn't be much fun.
A person has open wireless because:
- They don't know it is open.
- They know it is open but don't know how to secure it.
- They know how, but are to lazy to bother securing it.
- They know how to secure it, but they don't really care.
- They know how, and they are leaving it unsecured on principle.